- Birdwell Foundation For PTSD Partners With Matthew Marin To Reduce Veteran And First Responder Suicide
- San Antonio: Schaefer Branch Library Celebrates New Schaefer Trail
- New Adjustable Boat Fender Hanger Design Coming in 2021
"I commend President Biden for signing a bill to recognize June 19 as Juneteenth National Independence Day. From this day forward, the federal holiday will remind the nation of the historical struggles Black Americans faced and the incredible progress made in the United States.
"I also thank Congresswoman Sheila Jackson Lee and Sen. John Cornyn for helping to pass the legislation through the U.S. Congress.
"Today's recognition honors the many African-Americans, who have fought for decades to have Juneteenth National Independence Day. This includes my late friend, the Honorable Al Edwards. Al fought an uphill battle with considerable opposition to ensure that the state of Texas recognized the importance of that day in 1865 when Gen. Granger arrived in Galveston and read the Emancipation Proclamation.
"Al Edwards was determined to make Juneteenth a state holiday. He was successful in 1979 when the Texas Legislature passed House Bill 1016, making June 19 a state paid holiday in Texas. From that moment, Al was known as the 'Father of Juneteenth' and the significance of the holiday gained national and international attention.
More on Txylo.com
- Konect Ai Expands within the Automotive Industry and Announces Jerry Salerno as President
- Market Maker Agriculture launches podcast series on seasonal businesses
- Texas: Governor Abbott, TDHCA Announce $52.9 Million In Housing Stability Services Grants For Veterans, Vulnerable Texans
- Endo1 Partners Adds 34 Practices And Expands National Footprint
- Hellman & Friedman Completes Tender Offer for Outstanding Shares of At Home
Mayor Turner presents a proclamation to the late Honorable Al Edwards
"And now, to reach this milestone where the House and Senate passed this legislation that has now been signed by the president of the United States is a true testament to Al Edward's legacy. Texans and Americans owe a great deal of gratitude to State Representative Al Edwards, the father of Juneteenth, for making this moment a reality.
"For years, I have hosted a Juneteenth parade in Acres Home as a unifying event to celebrate freedom. This year, the holiday will carry a special meaning, as we gather with family, friends, and neighbors throughout the country.
"Although today's announcement takes us one step closer to equality, we know that our work is not finished. Unfortunately, we see examples of racial injustice and inequity on a near-daily basis, and we must call it out and hold those in power accountable.
"Juneteenth is as important to the story of America as the Fourth of July – it recognizes that the unalienable rights of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness apply to all."
Latest on Txylo.com
- Sho Richardsin Release New Music The Dude (Shogi)
- Sally Beauty Holdings, Inc. Announces Conference Call and Webcast to Discuss Third Quarter Financial Results on July 29, 2021
- Oasis Petroleum Schedules Second Quarter 2021 Conference Call for August 4, 2021
- San Antonio: Councilwoman Phyllis Viagran Congratulates Air Force Basic Military Training Graduates
- Hometown Mission Hits Homerun in Long Beach, CA
- How Blackboard Created an Experiential Marketing Campaign With Glass Walled Display Trucks
- History Making Footwear Startup, TRONUS Celebrates Super Successful First Year In Business
- Lifestyle Expert, Meredith Staggers, Shares Practical Tips Ahead of National Parents Day
- BOUDOIR, an award-winning psychological horror short directed by Gina Lee Ronhovde is now streaming on Bitpix
- Military.Finance Donates $30,000 to the Taya and Chris Kyle Foundation
- Murphy Door CEO Launches NEW Podcast "90 Proof Wisdom with Jeremy G Barker"
- At Home to Open Three New Stores in July
- Governor Abbott Announces Film Friendly Texas Forum At Southfork Ranch In Parker
- Evolve IP Recognized in 2021 Gartner Market Guide for Desktop as a Service for Third Consecutive Year
- JetMax AI Vision Robotic Arm to be launched soon on Kickstarter
- Sonorous Records To Release 8 Albums Of Original Recordings By The Five Blind Boys Of Alabama
- Storage Made Easy announces SMBStream™, a new product that offers secure accelerated access to SMB Shares over the Internet
- Parks Associates: 23% of US Broadband Households Own Three or More Smart Home Devices
- BGSF, Inc. to Host Second Quarter 2021 Earnings Conference Call and Webcast
- Pro Notary Attains MISMO Remote Online Notarization Certification