- Texas Author CJ Daly Releases New Romantic Suspense - The Academy Saga, III: CAP & Gown
- Safety Vision Welcomes New Director of Marketing
- What You Need to Know About Burn Injuries [Infographic]
April 29, 2021 -- In a sweeping announcement today, Mayor Sylvester Turner outlined his plans to implement a significant number of the recommendations submitted by the Mayor's Task Force on Policing Reform to improve accountability, transparency, change police policies and build mutual trust and respect with the community.
Joined by City Council Members, Houston Police Chief Troy Finner, Task Force Chair Larry Payne, Chief Medical Officer Dr. David Persse and others, Mayor Turner announced the following steps he has taken to implement the recommendations:
- Changed the Houston Police Department's policy on Body-Worn Cameras to allow for the release of video within 30 days
- A ban on "no-knock" warrants for nonviolent offenses
- Appointed a Deputy Inspector General of the new Office of Policing Reform and Accountability
- Signed an Executive Order to restructure the Independent Police Oversight Board (IPOB) and named a new board chair.
- Changed how the public can file complaints and access information on a newly designed website with five data dashboards regarding police transparency. (View demo at the bottom of the news release)
- Invest $25 million in crisis intervention over three years.
"As a native Houstonian who grew up in underserved communities, I believe this is a very important moment. But it is even more gratifying because it was Houstonians who put together these recommendations, and we are now acting on them and will continue to act on implementation," said Mayor Turner. "I am also inspired by the council members because it has been a collective effort."
More on Txylo.com
- Is Change Coming to the EB-5 Industry?
- All Fish Gear: Launching a New Online Store Dedicated to the Art of Fishing
- Westlake Chemical Corporation Declares Quarterly Dividend
- Governor Abbott Announces 20 Million COVID-19 Vaccine Doses Administered In Texas
- San Antonio: Animal Care Services teams up with renowned animal welfare foundation and disaster response organization
Mayor Turner has appointed Crystal Okorafor as the city's deputy inspector general in the new office of Policing Reform and Accountability. Okorafor is currently an assistant district attorney with the Harris County District Attorney's Office. Stephen Ives, CEO of YMCA of Greater Houston, will chair the restructured oversight board.
"I believe the work that this task force has done will benefit this city for years to come," said Mayor Turner. "I do believe what is happening here is transformational, and other cities across the country are taking note."
The Task Force recommended that the city expand existing partnerships between the HPD, mental health professionals, and social services organizations to lighten the load on officers when responding to vulnerable populations, such as those experiencing mental health crises, domestic violence, human trafficking, substance abuse, and homelessness.
To implement the crisis intervention recommendations, Mayor Turner announced the city will:
- Expand crisis case diversion. $272,140 annually to hire four additional counselors.
- Increase the number of Mobile Crisis Outreach Teams by 18 teams; hire 36 additional clinicians; local mental health authority will need funding to hire. $4.3 million annually
- Add six CIRT Teams, six additional counselors and six additional MHD at $2.4 million annually
- Implement Clinician Officer Remote Evaluation (CORE) proposal to provide tele-health technology to 80 HPD CIT Trained Officers on patrol. $847,875 annually.
- Fund Citywide Domestic Abuse Response Team with a victim advocate and forensic nurse examiner $800,000 - $1.2 Million annually.
Watch a demo of the Policy Transparency Dashboard
More on Txylo.com
- Local artists collaborate with City of San Antonio to increase community awareness of the importance of the COVID-19 Vaccine
- Employer Direct Healthcare sponsors Inaugural Florida Health, Education and Innovation Summit
- Texas: Governor's Commission For Women Announces Women-Owned Business Webinar Series And Pitch Competition
- CSD Learns, in partnership with RIT/NTID and by General Motors, Launches National Virtual Classroom for BIPOC Deaf Children
- @KevinDouglasWright Daily Motivational Quotes on Instagram Helps with Life's Challenges and Reaching Goals
Latest on Txylo.com
- Texas: Governor Abbott Renews Winter Storm Disaster Declaration For May 2021
- Naturally Slim Announces Rebrand to Wondr Health
- Aspire Fertility San Antonio Welcomes Jennifer Knudtson, MD to its Team of Renowned Fertility Specialists
- Governor Abbott Receives Texas Military Value Task Force 2021 Report
- 10 Year Anniversary of International Kangaroo Care Awareness Day
- El Paso-Based Providers Launch Mountain Star Clinically Integrated Network
- HungMargs Craft Margarita Mix from Delray Beach's TheHungCompany To Launch at First Stop on Jimmy Buffett's Worldwide Tour
- The Myth of Artificial Intelligence--AcademicInfluence.com Features Author and Computer Scientist Erik Larson
- City of Houston Begins to Electrify Fleet Through a Partnership with Greenlots
- Howard Energy Partners to Significantly Expand Its Port Arthur Terminal Facility to Support Local Renewable Diesel Production
- edjuster Field Claims Team Manages Largest Catastrophic Content Claims Event in North America
- Chris Conde - Engulfed In The Marvelous Decay (Album)
- BoatBlurb.com Celebrates One Year Anniversary with Record Monthly Traffic
- MediaKind Announces Two Senior Appointments to Elevate Business Strategy in DTC and Advertising Space
- 26th Annual AfroSolo Arts Festival - Black Voices: Our Stories, Our Lives - June 9-13 and 17-20, 2021
- Copart, Inc. to Release Third Quarter Fiscal 2021 Results
- Back to Eden, Back to Miami Swim Week
- Braemar Hotels & Resorts Announces Proposed $50 Million Convertible Senior Notes Offering
- Taysha Gene Therapies to Participate in Upcoming May Investor Healthcare Conferences
- Texas: Governor Abbott Sets Date For Special Runoff Election In Congressional District 6