Economic Development Department
Erin Nichols, (210) 207-3996
Tanya Sammis, (210) 390-4284 or (512) 431-8940,
SAN ANTONIO (November 7, 2019) – Today, San Antonio City Council approved a $250,000 Economic Development Incentive Fund grant for the Civic Tech Division of the newly formed Geekdom Incubator Program. The pilot program will support the development of early-stage companies focused on civic innovation and positive community impact through a 12-month program. In addition, the program will promote entrepreneurship, spur innovation, commercialize local talent and intellectual property and grow startups in the local information technology industry.
"San Antonio has a growing number of entrepreneurs with innovative ideas focused on addressing civic challenges," said Mayor Ron Nirenberg. "This pilot program will provide much needed mentorship to early-stage companies in order to help them create products and solutions that address community needs, including animal care, homelessness, education, neighborhood safety and more."
More on Txylo.com
- PDR Expands Its Texas Footprint with Regional Office in Dallas
- Governor Abbott Appoints Eight To Rehabilitation Council Of Texas
- Governor Abbott Appoints Miller And Young To Texas Early Learning Council
- One Park Financial Celebrates "Grovie Wellness Day"
- Texas: Nominations Now Open For The 2020 Governor's Volunteer Awards
Over the past year, Geekdom and the City of San Antonio's Office of Innovation and the Information Technology Services Department (ITSD) have collaborated on how best to support community innovators as partners, while also creating positive economic development and growth. The $250,000 grant from the City's Economic Development Department will help Geekdom and the City work with qualifying teams and/or companies get their ideas off the ground and to market. Additionally, any startup created within the program must remain headquartered in San Antonio for at least two years after completing the program, to encourage further economic growth and ensure local talent retention.
"This partnership, similar to our ICMA award-winning CivTechSA Program, is a great example of how collaborative community efforts can strengthen our local tech ecosystem," said City Manager Erik Walsh. "In addition to incubating technology entrepreneurs, this partnership will continue to build on San Antonio's reputation as a top destination for the tech industry in the country."
The Civic Tech Division is scheduled to launch in January 2020 and will support up to six teams over the course of two years. The program will provide the startups with workspace, mentorship, and advisement, as well as more than 100 hours of professional development and education. The City's Office of Innovation and ITSD will serve as partners and advisors to the teams in order to help them with customer validation and market fit.
More on Txylo.com
- Contify Launches a Brand-New Mobile Experience with the Advanced Features of its Market and Competitive Intelligence Platform
- Zezgo Rent A Car the high-quality rental brand commences service in the Dominican Republic
- Symplast CPO Izhak Musli to Present "Maximize Your Sales Process" at the 2020 American-Brazilian Aesthetic Meeting (ABAM)
- Platform Partners Completes Minority Investment in Alliance Payroll Services
- Triangle Real Estate Group CEO Makes Top 25 List, Earns Industry Distinction With Real Estate Franchise Brand Leader
"Geekdom is happy to deepen our partnership with the City," said Geekdom CEO Charles Woodin. "We know how important this incubator will be for creating more companies with positive community impact and launching them into our growing tech ecosystem. The next two years will be an exciting time for entrepreneurs and the City of San Antonio -- made all the better through our mutual collaboration and commitment to excellence."
o learn more about Geekdom programs and other Civic Technology projects, visit www.geekdom.com or www.civtech-sa.com.
Latest on Txylo.com
- CEO Coaching International Makes Inc.'s List of the 250 Fastest Growing Private Companies in California
- CenterPoint Energy Announces Sale of CenterPoint Energy Services Business to Energy Capital Partners
- Solutions for Airborne Coronavirus, Tuberculosis, Measles and Influenza
- Kosmos Energy Declares Quarterly Dividend
- Delirious Comedy Club Of Downtown Las Vegas Continues Nightly Laughter With Celebrity Comedy Series
- Texas: Governor Abbott Delivers Remarks At The Longview Sesquicentennial Ball
- AT&T Mobility, Communications Workers of America Reach Tentative Agreement in Mobility Southwest Contract Negotiations
- Author Colby Van Wagoner's new book - Baggage Act 1: Quickies - a wild and satirical dating anthology!
- Houston Trailblazer, Jade Simmons, Hosts Restoration Rally
- San Antonio: DISTRICT 1 COUNCILMAN ROBERTO TREVIÑO TO HOST RENTERS COMMISSION TOWN HALL MEETING
- Process Technology wins Evolution in Manufacturing Award
- CEO Coaching International Congratulates Client ShelfGenie on Induction into the Franchise Hall of Fame
- CDC and City of San Antonio Metropolitan Health District confirm two COVID-19 (novel coronavirus) cases within quarantined Diamond Princess cruise federal evacuees at Lackland Air Force Base
- Texas: Governor Abbott Appoints Estevez Presiding Judge Of Ninth Administrative Judicial Region
- Comedian Don Barnhart Reopens Jokesters Comedy Club With Best Deal In Las Vegas
- Guaranty Bank & Trust Expanding Austin Market Presence With New Bee Cave Location
- Boulder International Film Festival: March 5th - March 8th, 2020 includes Celebrity Appearances, Award-Winning Filmmakers, New Adventure Film Pavilion
- Hyperion Announces 2020 MarketViewTM Release Calendar
- ERF Wireless, Inc. Forms New Subsidiary to Acquire Oil and Gas Assets
- San Antonio: Long Awaited Shade Canopies, Other Improvements Coming to Nani Falcone Park