San Antonio: City Council Approves the Emma Tenayuca Memorial Way Designation
- Governor Abbott Appoints Landi To Texas Emergency Services Retirement System Board Of Trustees
- MyyShop Makes Waves at SXSW with Social Commerce Empowerment Plans for Content Creators
- Houston: Mayor's Office of Cultural Affairs Awards $52,150 to Digitally Innovative Arts and Cultural Works
SAN ANTONIO (January 26, 2023) — Today's Council Session featured the approval of the designation of an Emma Tenayuca Memorial Way on Cevallos Street from Interstate 35 to Probandt Street.
"Today is an extremely special day – as we have seized on the opportunity to honor one of San Antonio's own labor and civil rights champion in Emma Tenayuca," Councilwoman Teri Castillo said. "The memorial way must serve as a reminder to carry on her vision of social and economic justice for San Antonio."
The designation culminated through collaboration with the Mexican American Civil Rights Institute (MACRI), a national organization rooted in San Antonio, dedicated to chronicling, and advancing the Mexican American community's civil rights efforts in the United States.
"Emma Tenayuca is one of many Mexican Americans whose bravery to speak out against injustice should forever be remembered by San Antonians and all those who travel our streets," said MACRI Executive Director Dr. Sarah Gould. "We are grateful to the city's leadership in recognizing the vital importance of Mexican American civil rights history and offering a path to increase the visibility of this undertold history. We hope Emma Tenayuca Memorial Way is the first of a series of memorial ways to highlight our city's rich history."
More on Txylo.com
- SkillGigs, Inc. Announces Hire of Rasha Sammour as Human Resources Director
- Love & Drugs 3 Releases Globally
- Doug Brownridge Joins STS Capital Partners
- CourMed Founder/CEO Derrick L. Miles Featured in CNBC Viral Article on Private Aviation
- 10-4Gear.com Launches New Collection of US Border Patrol and Police Coins
Tenayuca emerged as a leader in the Pecan Shellers' strike, which lasted over a month and eventually led to the establishment of the Fair Labor Standards Act which established the right to a minimum wage, time-and-a-half, overtime pay, and the prohibition of child labor on June 25, 1938.
"This is an important first step in giving fair recognition of the Mexican American and Chicano experiences inextricably linked to the 300-year history of San Antonio," said Mayor Ron Nirenberg. "I want to thank Councilwoman Teri Castillo, Congressman Joaquin Castro, and MACRI for their leadership in the effort to properly memorialize San Antonio's heritage starting with honoring Emma Tenayuca's legacy."
Castro added, "Eighty-five years after the Pecan Shellers' Strike, today's designation of Emma Tenayuca Memorial Way honors the important contributions of a young Mexican American woman to our city's history.
"I look forward to working with city leaders to honor more of the San Antonians who shaped the world as we know it today. Congratulations to the Teneyuca family, Councilwoman Castillo, Mayor Nirenberg, the Mexican American Civil Rights Institute, and all those who played a role in making this progress possible."
The District 5 Office is hosting a celebration of the 85th Anniversary of the Pecan Shellers' strike at Cassiano Park,1728 Potosi Street, 78207, on Saturday, Jan. 28 starting at 3 p.m.
Filed Under: Government, City
Latest on Txylo.com
- Supreme Rejuvenation: The Safest and Most Potent Provider of Human Umbilical Cord Exosomes
- CEO: Tech firms face high stakes in remote work "debate"
- Sip Social Co. Partners With Apé Canada For Supply Of Piaggio Apé's
- Colliers welcomes Patsy Fretwell as Research Director in Houston
- Texas: Governor Abbott Statement On Newsmax, DIRECTV Agreement
- Aldous\Walker's Caleb Miller Named to List of Texas Rising Stars for 2023
- Governor Abbott Appoints Six To Texas School Safety Center Board
- Texas: Governor Abbott Promotes Expanded School Choice In Cypress
- o9 Solutions Recognizes Samsung SDS In Its Inaugural Partner Awards Program
- Drilling Tools International to Host Virtual Analyst & Investor Day On April 18, 2023
- Eddie Turner is Recognized as the #9 Motivational Speaker in the World By Global Gurus!
- Art supply company announces BOGO special on custom size canvases
- Bayou Graphics Offers Vehicle & Fleet Graphic Designing & Installation Services
- CEO Says Green Economy Must Meet High Expectations For Jobs
- Invader Coffee Launches their Mexican Chocolate Brew for Lovers of Organic Coffee
- Governor Abbott Appoints Alvis, Meade To Texas Transportation Commission
- Governor Abbott Appoints Four To Texas Forensic Science Commission
- Texas: Governor Abbott Appoints Bolduc As Public Counsel For The Office Of Public Insurance Counsel
- Texas: Governor Abbott Reappoints Mach To Public Safety Commission
- EvereTech CEO discussed the importance of people on Episode #96 on the DoD Contract Academy Podcast