SAN ANTONIO (Jan. 14, 2020) – The San Antonio Department of Arts & Culture presents a closing event for the landmark exhibition "The Day of the Dead in Art" at Centro de Artes on Saturday, January 18, at 3 – 4:30 p.m. Curator Ruben C. Cordova, Ph.D., will present an overview of the exhibition and several participating artists will discuss their work and their connection to Day of the Dead traditions. These discussions will be followed by a question and answer session with the audience and photo opportunities with the artists and the curator.
Dr. Cordova, who has researched Day of the Dead for 30 years, argues that many popularly held beliefs about the tradition are mistaken. He will provide a brief history of how Day of the Dead originated in Mexico, how it has changed over time, and how it was revived in the United States.
"The Day of the Dead in Art" exhibit features a stellar selection of more than 100 works by more than 50 artists from Mexico and many regions of the U.S. The exhibition has many iconic art works associated with Day of the Dead, beginning with prints by the legendary Mexican artist José Guadalupe Posada and his contemporaries. The show includes a strong selection of art by native Texans, from emerging artists to the departed luminaries Mel Casas and Luis Jiménez. It also features paintings, photographs, sculptures, and installations made specifically for the exhibition.
More on Txylo.com
- Texas: Governor Abbott Delivers Remarks At The Longview Sesquicentennial Ball
- AT&T Mobility, Communications Workers of America Reach Tentative Agreement in Mobility Southwest Contract Negotiations
- Author Colby Van Wagoner's new book - Baggage Act 1: Quickies - a wild and satirical dating anthology!
- Houston Trailblazer, Jade Simmons, Hosts Restoration Rally
- San Antonio: DISTRICT 1 COUNCILMAN ROBERTO TREVIÑO TO HOST RENTERS COMMISSION TOWN HALL MEETING
Day of the Dead traditions in Mexico and the U.S. have provided an opportunity for artists to engage in social criticism and cultural affirmation, and these practices are highlighted in the exhibition.
Artists who will participate in the gallery talk include: Albert Alvarez, Veronica Castillo, Xavier Garza, L.A. VATOCOSMICO, Roberto Gonzalez, Deborah Keller-Rihn, Cesar Martinez, Enrique Martinez, Martín Rodríguez, Alex Rubio, and David Zamora-Casas.
The exhibition concludes on Sunday, January 19. To learn more about the exhibit and Centro de Artes gallery, visit SanAntonio.gov/arts.
About the Curator: Ruben C. Cordova is an art historian and curator with a PhD from UC Berkeley who has taught at UC Berkeley, UT Pan American, UTSA, Sarah Lawrence College, and the University of Houston. He has curated more than 30 exhibitions and has written or contributed to 18 catalogues and books. He is serving as an advisor for a Day of the Dead exhibition planned by the National Museum of Mexican Art in Chicago, and he previously served as an advisor to the Travel Channel for a program filmed in Mexico during Day of the Dead.
Latest on Txylo.com
- Guaranty Bank & Trust Expanding Austin Market Presence With New Bee Cave Location
- Boulder International Film Festival: March 5th - March 8th, 2020 includes Celebrity Appearances, Award-Winning Filmmakers, New Adventure Film Pavilion
- Hyperion Announces 2020 MarketViewTM Release Calendar
- ERF Wireless, Inc. Forms New Subsidiary to Acquire Oil and Gas Assets
- San Antonio: Long Awaited Shade Canopies, Other Improvements Coming to Nani Falcone Park
- Google Will Index Sites Linked With No-Follow
- Lab Properties' New Sale-Leaseback Program Provides Cannabis Operators with Working Capital
- Inna Organic Receives Global Recognition as Premium Clean Beauty Brand
- United Real Estate Executive Recognized as Real Estate Industry Leader
- Fenway Group Announces Newest Client Partner
- Texas: Governor Abbott Establishes Customized Clemency Application For Survivors Of Human Trafficking And Domestic Abuse
- Governor Abbott Appoints Payne To Cancer Prevention And Research Institute Of Texas Oversight Committee
- Patton Announces the Industry's Most Flexible High-Density FXS VoIP Gateway
- Spire Agency Wins Big at the 2019 Annual Graphis Awards
- ALYI Hemp Battery Initiative Garners Attention as Hemp Market Seeks New Opportunities
- Digital Media Solutions Names Kathy Bryan As Chief Marketing Officer
- AutoQuotes and FEDA Announce New Strategic Partnership
- Lantek increases its turnover by 9.6%, reaching $23 million
- ThreeMain Goes Carbon Neutral, Sells Out Of Inventory
- CyrusOne Announces CEO Transition