- Score! 7-Eleven, Inc. Delivers Free Pizza for Football's Favorite Day
- Texas: First Lady Abbott, OneStar Foundation Announce 39th Annual Governor's Volunteer Awards Recipients
- The Institute of Internal Auditors' General Audit Management Conference to be held March 13-15
SAN ANTONIO (November 29, 2022) — Yesterday, Congressman Joaquin Castro, Mayor Ron Nirenberg, and Councilwoman Teri Castillo organized a press conference to announce a Council Consideration Request to commemorate the legacy of labor leader Emma Tenayuca, on Cevallos Street from Interstate 35 to Probandt Street.
The announcement culminated through collaboration with the Mexican American Civil Rights Institute (MACRI), a national organization rooted in San Antonio, dedicated to chronicling, and advancing the Mexican American community's civil rights efforts in the United States.
Emma Tenayuca emerged as a leader in the Pecan Shellers' strike, which lasted over a month and eventually led to the establishment of the Fair Labor Standards Act which established the right to a minimum wage, time-and-a-half, overtime pay, and the prohibition of child labor on June 25, 1938.
"This memorial way request comes at a time when we are witnessing a groundswell of workers organizing for better working conditions and pay," the District 5 Councilmember continued, "This designation is timely and can serve as an educational piece for San Antonians and visitors alike. We are grateful for the San Antonio Mayor's leadership to commemorate such an important figure like Emma Tenayuca."
More on Txylo.com
- Texas: Governor Abbott Reappoints Tate To Pecos River Compact Commission
- SOUTHERN GLAZER'S WORKERS JOIN TEAMSTERS LOCAL 745
- Raise Business Capital Effectively
- On The Border Introduces a New Seafood Menu with a Crab Fiesta
- New Way To Promote Small Business Launched
"Mexican American and Chicano experiences are inextricably linked to the 300-year history of San Antonio," said the San Antonio Mayor. "I'm proud to collaborate with the District 5 Councilwoman, the Congressman, and MACRI to properly memorialize San Antonio's heritage starting with honoring Emma Tenayuca's legacy."
"All Americans should know about Mexican American civil rights history because it is American history. All Americans should know the names of Emma Tenayuca, Alonso Perales, Jovita Idar, Gus Garcia, and so many others. Their stories are just a sample of U.S. history that is underknown, undertold, and under acknowledged," shared Dr. Sarah Gould, Executive Director of the Mexican American Civil Rights Institute.
"For as long as San Antonio has been part of the United States, our city has served as a center of Mexican American culture and activism," said Congressman Castro. "We hope that the requested designation of Emma Tenayuca Memorial Way stands as both a way to honor her legacy as a labor leader and as a reminder of our obligation to be intentional about weaving Mexican American history into the fabric of our city."
Designation of a Memorial Way on Cevallos Street will not result in a change to the official street name or mailing address.
The CCR is attached in full.
Latest on Txylo.com
- Anne Chow and Pedro Pizarro elected to 3M Board of Directors
- CleanCloud launches nationwide shoe & leather goods repairs for Dry Cleaners and Laundromats, powered by Cobblers Direct
- M-Files Acquires No-Code Document Automation Company Ment
- Texas: Governor Abbott Statement On President Biden's State Of The Union Address
- Maximize Your Profit: Tips from Collectors Coins & Jewelry on Selling Gold Jewelry Safely and Effectively
- Texas: Governor Abbott Appoints Luckey To Podiatric Medical Examiners Advisory Board
- Governor Abbott Appoints Cox, Ortiz To Texas Council On Sex Offender Treatment
- Maximizing Your Manufacturing and Electrical Sales Potential with TEC Sales
- Governor Abbott Requests Presidential Disaster Declaration Following Severe Weather, Tornadoes In Southeast Texas
- UnionMain Homes now opening new homes in the Lake Breeze community in Lavon, Texas
- Texas: Governor Abbott, Nexstar Media Inc. Announce Live Statewide Telecast Of 2023 State Of The State Address
- Entrinsik Board Announces New CEO
- 2023 Immigrant Journey Awards Now Open for Nominations
- White Rock Cybersecurity Celebrates 80% Growth and Expanded Market Footprint in 2022
- Eddie Turner Ranked #13 On The Power List Of The Top 200 Biggest Voices In Leadership In 2023
- The Data Economics Company and Gordian Knot Strategies Announce Enkrateia Climate Investment Decision Support Platform
- Increased Consumer Preference for Sustainable Materials Boosting Market Growth USA - English USA - English India - English
- End of remote work could spell disaster for diversity efforts
- New website for green jobs launched
- Global System Dynamics, Inc. Announces Sponsor's Request for an Additional One-Month Extension to Complete its Initial Business Combination