Zack Lyke 210-207-8448
SAN ANTONIO (Sept. 17, 2020) — Following are excerpts from Mayor Ron Nirenberg's statement on the fiscal year 2021 budget approved by City Council today:
This year has been fraught with anger, division, tension, anxiety and disease. It's difficult to imagine that we've been immersed in the COVID way of life for over six months.
But we're not looking up from the bottom of an inescapable pit. We're simply in a deep tunnel with a long way to go. We have our loved ones. We have our neighbors. We have a path forward. We have hope.
Though the ground shifted beneath our feet, it provided an opportunity for us to discover new fixes. Fault lines and cracks were exposed in every corner of our city, but that meant they laid bare -- allowing us to dress the wounds so that we could begin to heal.
More on Txylo.com
- SA Prep Announces the Tunette Powell Writing Award Competition Recipients
- Texas: Governor Greg Abbott Appoints Three To Governor's Committee To Support The Military
- National School Bus Safety Week (Oct. 19–23) Promotes Safety Aspects of Yellow School Bus
- PicPocket-Labs, Inc. receives Notice of Allowance for US and Chinese patent applications for geofence-based drone control
- First Command Reports Third Quarter 2020 Holdings for AMS Program and Banking Affiliate
The budget in front of us is reflective of a unique, challenging, and inspiring moment in our community.
Parallel to this pandemic, the nation continues to grapple with a familiar disease - racism and discrimination. The deaths of Black lives at the hands of the police has shed a bright spotlight on the work we all have to do to improve policing and public safety in the United States. In order to live up to our acknowledgement that Black Lives Matter, San Antonio must not be an exception.
While this budget may not reflect the exact changes that some of our residents have called for, I believe that it does commit to the health, housing, education and workforce needs of our city.
I am grateful to an empowered community of residents, organizers and activists, who have pushed us to review and identify opportunities to direct funds to address these issues. We hope you see the changes before you as the beginning of a much longer conversation.
Since we worked to apply an equity lens to our budgetary process in 2017, I have been committed to pursuing every opportunity to increase transparency and accessibility in our overall budget. I am still committed to this goal.
We also continue the work to ensure that San Antonio residents' voices and input are genuinely heard, included and reflected in the decision-making process in this community.
Latest on Txylo.com
- Whitechapel Holdings Launches PPE Website
- Sports journalist Sierra Nicole wants to help 'sports shy' women navigate sports through #SportsBae
- Frisco Real Estate Agent Shortens Selling Timeline for Local Homeowners
- How CCTV Offers Business Owners Greater Confidence in Safety
- The City of Houston Announces Recommendations for Reopening Sanctuaries and Faith-Based Organizations During the COVID-19 Pandemic
- McKesson's Board of Directors Elects Linda Mantia as New Independent Director
- Spark Connected Announces New 300W Industrial Wireless Charging Solution Powered by AURIX™
- Kroh Exploration Acquires 18 Wellbores in North Texas!
- The Author Encounter is Hosting Indie Author Day Event
- SignOnSite is licensed by Trillium to provide a unique contactless worksite safety platform to help manage risk for complex construction projects
- Locked And Loaded Website Release
- City of San Antonio's Renters' Commission Survey Deadline Extended to October 31
- Fast House Buyers Offers the Easiest Home Selling Process in San Antonio
- Behavioral Health Group Expands to Nine Locations in Alabama with Acquisition of Recovery Treatment Centers in Huntsville and Stevenson
- Governor Abbott Announces Over $296 Million In Funding For Public Safety Initiatives In Texas
- San Antonio Public Library to hold Virtual Community Meeting
- World Renowned Hacker Starts Comic Company, Quickly Exceeds Kickstarter Goal
- 2020 Top TERROR-ific Haunted Attractions In The U.S
- Global Real Estate Firm Harwood International Unveils Design Of Its Tallest Office Tower
- Unique Penthouse Property For Sale by the sea in Dalkey, Dublin, Ireland