The grant was part of a $250 million dollar outlay authorized by the Families First Coronavirus Response Act, signed into law by President Trump on March 18, 2020. Originally created by the Older Americans Act (OAA) of 1965, these programs provide meals to more than 2.4 million older adults nationwide each year, both through home delivery and in places like community centers.
"This grant is especially timely given the disproportionately high toll that COVID-19 has been taking on seniors around the world," said Governor Abbott. "As social distancing measures increasingly and appropriately limit people's social mobility, it is imperative that alternate means for feeding our state's elderly like Meals on Wheels receive additional resources to handle the growing need."
More on Txylo.com
- Alpha Energy Management Wins SunPower 2019 Commercial National Rising Star Award
- Texas: Governor Abbott Waives Certain Regulations To Expand Health Care Workforce During COVID-19 Response
- James Family Charitable Foundation Donates 100,000 Meals to Nonprofit Feeding America's Coronavir
- United Imaging Releases Information on Additional Transportable CTs for the U.S.
- Author Offers Dentists His Book For FREE In Hopes They Can Rebound From The COVID-19 Shutdown Even Stronger Than They Were Before The Pandemic
Texas will receive its proportional grant, $16,205,796, second only to California ($25 million) and Florida ($18 million) this week for further distribution to local meal providers.
Older adults who need assistance can contact the Eldercare Locator to find services available in their community. The Eldercare Locator can be reached at 1-800-677-1116 or https://eldercare.acl.gov/.
For more information about the Texas response to COVID-19, please visit https://texas.gov/#covid19/.
For more information about the Older Americans Act nutrition programs, please visit https://ACL.gov.
Latest on Txylo.com
- San Antonio: New COVID-19 testing criteria makes testing more accessible to the community
- Texas: Governor Abbott Provides Update on State's Robust Hospital Capacity
- MC Residential Communities Ranks 13th Best Company To Work Multifamily® For Women In The Nation
- New Website Truth Point Offering Video Live-streaming on Current Events
- Parkland Community Health Plan to waive cost-sharing for COVID-19 treatment
- Screening Eagle raises CHF 55 million to protect the built world
- City of San Antonio and Bexar County launch multi-layered response to protect nursing home residents from COVID-19
- Florida Governor Issues Stay-at-Home Order All Legal Proceedings Must Go Online
- Simple Solution to at home pain management during social-distancing
- 230V in the vehicle made easy and powerful with an all-in-one inverter system
- Mahmood Khan Cracks ITUNES Australia Top Ten Charts
- Houston Resident's, Non-fiction Book, "Always Say Hi," Nominated for Global Award
- San Antonio: Tracing results for COVID-19-positive officer determined potential exposures to be low or negligible risk to the public
- Dental Marketing Company Helps Dentist's Keep Emergency Rooms Free From Dental Related Emergencies
- Texas: Governor Abbott Proclamation Regarding Fort Worth Crime CPD Elections
- James Avery announces associate furloughs due to extended store closures
- A1A Print USA Now Serving Dallas
- A1A Print USA services available in Texas
- Eat Locally - Businesses Supporting Local Restaurants
- Texas: Governor Abbott Suspends Regulations To Increase EMS, First Responder Workforce