- Promote Your SoundCloud and YouTube Video Online with the help of Music Promotion Club
- Governor Abbott Signs HB 3257 Into Law, Creating The Texas Holocaust, Genocide, And Antisemitism Advisory Commission
- Embrey Sells Domain at Founders Parc in Euless, Texas (DFW)
Not so fast, says author and computer scientist Erik Larson, Ph.D. In his latest book, The Myth of Artificial Intelligence: Why Computers Can't Think the Way We Do, he notes that perhaps the replacement of human beings with artificial intelligence and "thinking machines" is not as imminent as we fear.
Inflection, the opinion, editorial, and news analysis journal of AcademicInfluence.com features Larson's first-hand insights from his latest book:
Growing Up with Artificial Intelligence
"I figured that readers should know about the difference between commercial and practical AI as well as the sort of general intelligence that futurists insist will soon emerge, from steady progress in practical and commercial applications all the way up to the development of 'true,' or general, AI," says Larson.
"The key point is devastating: there isn't a path from one to the other, or what's called narrow (usable) AI to general intelligence. General AI may still be possible, of course, but we can't get there riding a wave of machine learning, or for that matter any of the other traditional methods that we've retired."
More on Txylo.com
- Golden Nugget Online Gaming to Attend the Jefferies US Sports Betting & iGaming Day
- Mayor Turner Shares Information About the Proposed City of Houston Water and Wastewater Rate Increase
- Scallop Software is now a GSA MULTIPLE SCHEDULE approved vendor. Congratulations from Brian Peterson and the Government Marketplace LLC team
- Overlooked Hurricane Katrina Mississippi Black Women Survivors Resilience and Recovery
- WSGF Announces Cuban Short-Term Vacation Rental Properties Backed By Cryptocurrency
Larson is critical of fanciful tech companies and prominent futurists for hyping their own artificial intelligence initiatives and their ungrounded forecasts of an AI-dominated future. These projects often arrive with much acclaim and then quietly fade from view, notes Larson.
"There's actually a question mark at the center of AI; the futurists' claims are based on a kind of wishful thinking that this isn't so. Futurism and hype about AI, in other words, is a misrepresentation of facts that demands response," Larson states.
In addition to his article, Larson shared further insight into the state of machine learning and artificial intelligence in interviews with Dr. Jed Macosko, academic director of AcademicInfluence.com and professor of physics at Wake Forest University, and his daughter Karina, AcademicInfluence.com's student correspondent:
What the Future Holds for Artificial Intelligence [VIDEO]
The Inspiration for Academic Influence [VIDEO]
"Dr. Larson helps us make sense of the promise of 'thinking machines' and what such devices can and cannot do. At a time when news media over-promote technology and inadvertently stoke fear of the future, it's good to get a more balanced view of where AI technology is heading from an expert and a long-time industry insider," says Dr. Macosko.
More on Txylo.com
- D.R. Horton, Inc. to Release 2021 Third Quarter Earnings on July 22, 2021
- EPA Recognizes Houston's Continued Leadership in Energy Innovation
- Houston: Mayor Sylvester Turner's Statement on Juneteenth National Independence Day
- PermRock Royalty Trust Declares Monthly Cash Distribution
- Viva!! San Antonio Fiesta set for June 17-27
Erik Larson, Ph.D., a member of the Academic Advisory Board of AcademicInfluence.com, is a computer scientist, entrepreneur, and technologist with over a decade of experience in software development and R&D in the computational sciences. Larson's projects focus on the design and development of software systems that provide effective solutions to real-world problems. As a scientist, his interests lie in hybrid systems that utilize knowledge representation and reasoning, together with modern data-centered and machine-learning approaches. His career has spanned both classic and empirical AI, with a particular focus on text analytics (information extraction and natural language processing).
AcademicInfluence.com is the preeminent technology-driven rankings site dedicated to students, researchers, and inquirers from high school through college and beyond, offering resources that connect learners to leaders. For details on this technology and the people behind it, visit the AcademicInfluence.com About page. AcademicInfluence.com is a part of the EducationAccess group, a family of sites dedicated to lifelong learning and personal growth.
Jed Macosko, Ph.D.
Filed Under: Business
Latest on Txylo.com
- Panther City Lacrosse To Select 13 Players In National Lacrosse League Expansion Draft On June 29th
- Guaranty Bancshares, Inc. Declares Quarterly Dividend
- San Antonio: Metro Health Advises People to Get Two-Dose Vaccines to Protect Against the Delta Variant of COVID-19
- 7-Year Old Singer/Songwriter Kyra Pesebre Releases "I Love You, Dad" In Time For Father's Day
- Equest's Sold-Out 40th Anniversary Gala was Legendary
- Solo Art Show in Houston: Panca Marga
- The KIS Foundation, Inc. Celebrates World Sickle Cell Day "Day of Physical Fitness and Education"
- Industry Leaders Spotlight the New Payer Regulatory and Compliance Environment at Beacon Leadership Summit
- Join the Homepage of B2B for a Chance to Travel the World
- San Antonio: Viva Fiesta! COVID-19 Vaccine Pop-Up Clinics Coming to Official Fiesta Events
- St Pete Talk joins the Canadian Snowbird Association talking Taxes | Snowbirds
- City of San Antonio announces Brooke Army Medical Center to become a Medicaid provider with passage of Texas House Bill 2365
- San Antonio: Councilwoman Phyllis Viagran Encourages Participation in Upcoming Fiesta Events
- APX Founder Terri Ross Returns as a Featured Speaker at the 2021 AmSpa Medical Spa & Aesthetic Bootcamps
- OpenSSL 3.0 Release Candidate now available
- Masergy Wins Globee® in the 16th Annual 2021 IT World Awards®
- Protopia and University of Michigan Host Webinar on AI-Powered Networking in the Classroom
- Houston: BARC Services Closed This Weekend Due to Illness Precautions BARC Closed for Animal Intake June 17-20
- Lineus Medical Expands US Distribution with CoMedical
- Covenant High Plains Surgery Center becomes West Texas' only surgery center to achieve accreditation from the Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery Accreditation and Quality Improvement Program®